But I'll spare you all those scary stories about this past week. I'll skip to the happy end in which the princesses get better, play happily and sleep peacefully in their beds.
Or I could share tonight's bedtime story.
Every night that we put her to bed, Meggie asks us how many songs we know. I always lowball: "I know two." "Nooooo," she says, "you know lots. You know 'America the Beautiful' and the ABCs and 'Twinkle Little Star' and 'Baby Mine' and 'Down by the Salley Gardens'..."
That's her favorite. She always picks that one. And it's a good thing, too. Because 3 is a crazy age. Three is also the average number of timeouts we have every day. This is the age of challenge.
I sing.
Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet;And then I sigh. Because I need that reminder.
She passed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take life easy, as the leaves grow on the tree;
But I, being young and foolish, with her would not agree.
In a field by the river my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs;
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.
"Goodnight, Meggie. Love you," I say and switch on the night light.
She rolls over and says, "I love you too, Mom. So much. I even love you when I'm misbehaving. I don't mean to misbehave, Mom. I don't mean to."
"I know, baby," I say. "Daddy and I always love you. Good night."
She's already asleep.
True story.
Good night.
2 comments:
Awwww. That's so sweet. I'm glad the girls are better and that Meggie isn't intentionally misbehaving. :)
Sniff.
Post a Comment