Saturday, November 19, 2011

Right now: Growing

Today was a typical Saturday. We did our chores and some errands. And then the girls did their "work": crafts, reading and music.

Laurel was assigned her second family tree/tree-about-me project this school year. (She started in her second kindergarten class this week, so she gets to do it again. That's a long story, so if you don't know it, I won't retell it. Short version: She loves her new class and is very happy! :o) )

This is the beginning of her project. She decided to use a stick she found today. "Look! It's like a little tree!" She did it all herself. The leaves show things she likes to do. "Play, Read, Crafts, hug." She put "Family" on a heart and attached it, and she wrote "God" on a sun that she asked me to attach with pipe cleaner, "because I want it to float over my whole tree, because God is above me." She also made a falling leaf and attached it with the pipe cleaner for her name. She made all the decisions for her little tree herself and--except for the gluing--did it on her own. She's getting to be a big girl.

It was nice that she chose reading as the second thing she likes. It's true. I'm happy to say that she enjoys it very much and was excited to crack open her next level of readers this week.

With the blessings of technology, the girls got to video chat with Alan and share their activities today. While Laurel was doing her project, Meggie played for Alan.

She played, "Oh Christmas Tree," "Silent Night" and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas." She said it was "my own Christmas concert for Dad."

P.S. I know I need to post Halloween costumes... I might get to that this weekend. Maybe. The girls were a sea princess and a bumblebee. Oh, excuse me, Laurel reminds me that she was an underwater bumblebee.

P.P.S. This is going to be a busy week. I have three--yes, three--turkeys defrosting right now. Two are for the kindergarten Thanksgiving celebration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see Alan! Happy Thanksgiving Alan. I miss You too! Meggie,when do we get a Christmas Concert? Laurel-your Laurel Tree is so beautiful and special. Love you all.
Grandma Grace