Wednesday, December 29, 2004


Couldn't wait to get the phonics train from Grandma and Pops in Alabama out of the box.

4 comments:

GC said...

Heather, English is not a phonetic language.

Tell me. how do you say this word "bow"? Is it "bow" like a package's ribbon decoration or "bow" like the front of a ship, a Japenese greeting, a gesture of respect, or half of the sound a dog makes, "bow-wow"? (By the way you shoot arrows with a "bo" the "ow" is the long o sound.)

Is "bow" the same as "bough", large tree branches? Is it , "Deck the hall with "bows" of holly. . ."? The correct pronunciation of "bow" can only be determined by the context of the word's usage.

How would you say the word "wind"? Is it "wind" like a "wind" at the door or "wind" like the the turning of the key of a music box or the turning of a clock or watch knob, or going down a road?

Shouldn't it be enuf for enough or ruf for rough? Gee, thats a tuf one. How about akshun for action? Is it a hard "c" like kar, kat, or kake? Is it a soft "c" like chek (cheek), chir (cheer), chez (cheeze)? (The double "ee" is just the long "e" sound in both cheek and cheer.) (I looked it up in a dikshunere (dictionary) to be sure.)

Do I call you on the fon (phone) about a plague or phrogs (frogs)? Gee, I don't no (know)?

Enuf, all rede! Maybe I should just log off and turn on the knews! Or I'll eat a read apple. Read decilious apples ar mi favourite (the British spelling of favorite)! Oar eye could reed Bible stories like Knowa and the Arc!

No, wunder kids can't red or spel.

Heather, stick to letters and sight words first. Good spelling is memorization. And good grammar comes from reading not writing. Your Uncle Jerry. ;-)

Jesse said...

This was sent to me by Mila's niece, or knees or nese...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Jesse said...

Really from Grace who can't remember her password.
hello everyone....love you all and your words of wisdom. but remember the most important thing....it is just a toy and meggie and i had a fun time interacting together with it.
meggie's gramma

Jesse said...

hello all - it's me...who's me? grace.
hey linda - you are so sweet. and no need to apologize. being "open-iated" and getting carried away is one of the unique and endearing qualities of our blogging family circle :-). the toy came from bamagramma and and grandpa and i know they won't mind either.
love you all - happy new year
gramma grace