Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Words fail me

I'm supposed to post about Independence Day. And I wonder if I dare to post about our recent family events.

I am grateful to live in the United States. Every nation has a particular product of which it is especially proud. In Switzerland they have many. Would it be clocks? Or cheese. Or knives (which, conveniently, can cut the famous cheese.) In Germany ... cars. And beer. Not the best combination, but there it is.

And in the United States (you'll laugh at me, but I mean this) opportunity is our most valuable and abundant commodity. Opportunity draws immigrants across our borders. It's a crop that has fertile ground in the United States. I'm not sure why this is, but traveling overseas and spending most of my pre-high-school life in a foreign school system have convinced me that America is ideally suited to grow opportunity.

But I won't wax on about it now.

Because what I'm really grateful for today is that Alan has come home. He returned today from a last-minute trip to Alabama. His grandmother passed away Friday, and Alan left for Alabama Saturday morning. I was sad that it wasn't possible for the entire family to make the trip.

But on Sunday, with Alan still gone and Brianna in a plane bound for Alabama (she arranged a visit to my in-laws months ago), there was another death. My Aunt Pam, mother to cousins Sean, Brianna and Ryan, passed away inexplicably while recovering from gallbladder surgery.

Aunt Pam was in her forties. Although she had been ill for the past 14 months, there was no reason to expect serious complications after her weekend surgery--a routine operation that usually requires only a short recovery period. This tragedy was a complete shock. No one was prepared. And her youth deepens the sadness.

But I won't say more, because I don't feel it is my place. I don't want to tread on the expressions of grief of Aunt Pam's husband, children and sisters. This is their time to speak and my time to listen.

But I could post a picture. It seems out of place in this post, but maybe it will make you smile. If it does make you smile, then maybe it has a place after all.

After the bath*

I will be in California from Saturday through Tuesday. Laurel is coming with me. Meggie is staying here with daddy, and they already have several daddy-daughter outings planned. A hike, among other things.

* This toy came from Grandma C. It was advertised as encouraging children of different ages (or children and adults) to play together. It definitely does that. The girls want to play in it every day. Find it here.

3 comments:

Michele said...

That picture did make me smile. :) The Gs and Cs are all in my thoughts. Best wishes for a safe trip.

GC said...

h - Thanks for thinking of your Aunt Pam and us. It is the love and support of good relatives and friends that has helped us through part of this terrible time.

Special thanks to my sister-in-laws and in particular my favorite redhead sister-in-law (& by the way my only redhead sister-in-law); Uncle Manny & Aunt Holly; my friend from high school Bernie & his wife Margarita (Bernie is the definition of a Good Friend - someone there through thick and thin times); and many others who have called, send cards, etc.

The lengths that some have gone to help us is remarkable and sometimes unexpected. My weekend job, a group home, has provided me with three days of Bereavement pay – thank you Sharon in Personnel. Both Sean & Ryan have been extremely helpful pitching in and picking up extra household chores and helping each other.

We are all proud of both Sean & Ryan. Both these young men have had their share of difficulties, but have remained good sons & good citizens. (This is not mere lip service to Sean & Ryan. Some of the Group Home boys that I’ve worked with are neither Good sons nor Good citizens. I know what evil some unloved, some abandoned, confused, and lost boys are capable of. Many of these boys are lost to Gangs, Drugs, and Violence.)

Why this has happened, well none of us can truly fathom it. We must rely on our faith. Your Aunt Pam is at rest and is in the company of our dear departed loved ones that have gone in faith before her. Your Aunt Pam was a woman of faith. Baptized and blessed throughout her life. We have been blessed to have had Pam as loving sister, daughter, friend, wife, mother, and neighbor.

Pam - We all love and miss you. Jerry and the Kids. (& Opal (woof) ;-) GC

Unknown said...

Thanks for the lovely post. You're such a gifted writer. You can always express how you are feeling and don't feel like you are treading on us. See you this weekend.

love Aunt Linda