Monday, June 13, 2005

'Dirty, dirty'

You have my utmost respect. If you ever did or are now using cloth diapers, my hat is off to you. If you undertook this challenge without a diaper service, you are my hero. You must have been washing and drying diapers almost all day long. Sheesh!

I am using cloth diapers on Meggie (on a limited basis and only at home), and let me tell you, they’re no wipe in the park. Why am I doing this in the age of disposable diapers that can absorb a gallon of liquid and still feel dry? Several reasons: 1) Curiosity. 2) It’s fun to watch your toddler goosestep around the house (to reduce the friction of the very shiny vinyl overpants, I suppose). And 3) Because cloth diapers, so it says on the package, encourage children’s interest in potty training.

Meggie is not a fan of cloth diapers. She usually lets me know when she needs to be changed by patting her side and saying something like "biper." Not until the cloth diaper did she ask for a change by grimacing, pointing to her bottom and saying "dirty, dirty." Dirty indeed. Thank goodness for the scratchy vinyl overpants.

I think it is probably true that cloth diapers increase interest in potty training. From what I can see, they take all the fun out of wetting yourself.

No comments: