Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Staying alive

Howdy hey, neighbor. Just a quick note to let you know that, yes, we are still alive. We seem to have fallen into a black hole in terms of communication with the outside world. But we're still here. We're just busy this week, and I'm trying to kick my once-in-a-decade sinus infection. It last got me in 1995, when I had to stay home from school for two weeks. No such luxury now. Just a giant antibiotic horse pill twice daily.

Meggie is doing MUCH better. She's our happy little camper again. It seems that she may already have lost both tubes. They're supposed to last a year. Based on her reaction to them, I think they were a problem in themselves. Either their placement or their brand really, REALLY did not agree with her. (But note that this is highly unusual. For most kids, they're almost a magic cure.) She's going to the doctor next week, and we'll start to evaluate this problem then. Interestingly, taking Meggie off whole milk seems to have made a big difference. A nurse practitioner mentioned to me that whole milk causes ear problems in some kids. And our pediatician said it's worth a try. After all, our Meggie has plenty of baby fat (she's a pud), so no worries there.

Alan is trying to stave off illness as he lives with Meggie and me. Poor guy. He's beset on all sides. He's doing well so far though. He's very busy at work. And, since I'm working full-time this week (harrah, harrah), he has lots to do when he gets home. He does such a good job with Meggie, but it must be tiring for him. He'll be glad when my schedule is back to its usual three days a week.

As you know, Meggie has reached the "my" stage. Everything is "my." Last week she was making sweeping gestures around the room indicating to me that everything was "myyyyyyyyy." (As if I didn't already know.) She screams "My, my, my, my!" and runs away whenever I try to take from her something that she should not have. On the other hand, she is eager to give me anything she thinks is "gucky." She wants me to collect all the gucky things and put them away, so that she doesn't have to encounter them. She brings me lint ("gucky"), wads of paper ("gucky"), handfuls of oatmeal ("gucky") and anything she can pick out of her nose. ("No, honey, that's yours. You can leave that where it was.")

But back to "my." Yesterday "my" became positive, and it made me feel soooo good. I was carrying her into the day care, and she looked up and smiled at me. She pointed to me and said "My mommy!" and hugged me. I thought I was going to melt into a pool of jelly right there in the hallway.

Well, must run. Gotta get us both ready to go. And I have to take my horse pill.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Awwww.

GC said...

what a sweet, sweet thing Meggie did!