Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy, happy!

2007. I don't see people wearing space suits, and my car doesn't run on recycled kitchen waste. What's up with that?

I'm not going to do a recap of 2006. That's what the blog is for. :o) Browse and reminisce if you like. It's been a good year.

We were blessed with a healthy G. girl No. 2. And Meggie has had a good year, too -- starting preschool right at the end. And although I believe that our January consultation with a new dentist will result in the pulling of Meggie's two front teeth (one is still a little discolored, and dentists tend to agree with each other), I can at least say that she didn't lose them in 2006. So there. And I can tell people that, precocious though she is, she kept them till she was 3, which for some reason sits a lot better than 2. Don't ask me why.

Growing like a weed. And playing all the time.

Christmas in Alaska. What a rustic looking Santa, eh? Must be authentic.

We had a good end to the year. It snowed really hard for days, and Alan had to plow the driveway several times. He worked his snowthrower so hard that a wheel came off the rim. He had to use his new air compressor (Christmas present) to fix the tire, so Santa felt good about that choice.

Santa was nice to the rest of us, too. But when it comes to toy assembly, Santa done me done wrong. He gave Meggie a kitchen set that required construction from the ground up. Even the doors were unassembled. I spent first two days after Christmas assembling the thing. I can see why Santa picked it. It looked simple on the box. It didn't say 100 phrases like the Dora the Explorer model. And he may, perhaps, have had a coupon that, in conjunction with the already low sale price, made the kitchen seem like a real deal. I'm only guessing, of course. But he should've taken a hint when he saw that it had been opened by a previous shopper and then resealed by the store staff. Said previous shopper probably saw that the thing had around 100 pieces and no less than 56 screws. I got it done with three screws to spare, and I'm sure they were just extras. Right? Right?

"She better cook me a killer souffle in this thing."

"Ooooh! Now I can cook crumputs!"*


We had a good New Year's Eve. We dutifully held to our tradition of not going anywhere. ;o) For the past two years we've made lots of hors d'oeuvres and watched rented movies. We never have trouble finding movies we haven't seen. It's an advantage of never going to or renting movies, which may seem like laziness to you, but it's really all part of a complicated strategy that pays off every New Year's Eve.

* I don't know what "crumputs" are. But it's what she pretends to cook whenever she plays. I think she means crumpets.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Laurel's play tent. She looks so comfy and snug in there!

Unknown said...

Kudos to you in building the stove. You're right, from the box it looks simple. I couldn't of done it!

-h said...

I ended up modifying this kitchen thing. The doors (probably because they were assembled by a frustrated woman who warped them by overtightening the screws) wouldn't stay shut. So I used velcro tabs (available in any supermarket sewing section). Worked like a charm. The adhesive wasn't quite strong enough to stand up to a toddler's slamming and yanking, so I used my glue gun to give them some extra staying power. Voila.