Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Snippets

I don't feel like writing a long post, but I can manage a few snippets. I might be doing this more often, because, well, I'm a little busy, and I'm a lot lazy.

OK.

* We saw my high school/college friend Christina for dinner yesterday. She's up here studying the Alaska Native Medical Center for three days. It was great to see her.

* Alan is doing well. Very busy. Lots of meetings. Carpooling a few times a week. Driving is getting very expensive.

* Meggie is currently playing "cooking" using pots and kitchen utensils.

* Laurel is eating breakfast. Laurel goes for the maximum benefit -- every time. When she's eating something, even something she really likes, if you give her something she likes even better she'll immediately spit out what she was chewing ("Ptui!") to tear into the preferred food. Then, after the first preference is all gone, she'll go back to eating the second choice with great gusto.

* Lucy poochie is getting accustomed to her new digs. She has figured out that she's supposed to do her business out of doors. No messes in the house for three days! Hooray! I hope I didn't just jinx us.

* It's definitely true that scarcity impacts perceived value and increases demand. When I was at Costco last week, marveling at how prices have increased pretty much across the board (thank you, high oil prices), I saw a bunch of people queuing up for something. So I got in line out of curiosity. At the end of the line, I saw that people were producing their Costco membership cards in exchange for the opportunity to purchase one (just one) Costco-size bag of rice. So, hey, if it's rationed, I figured, I want some. Of course we still had half a Costco bag of rice at home. So now we have 30 pounds. But I can't say I mind.

No comments: