Thursday, November 04, 2004

Very Alaskan

So, ten minutes ago the quality control guy from the Air Force called me. He said, "I understand that the movers can't get up your driveway, because it hasn't been plowed?" I told him that Alan had plowed last night but that we had gotten about four new inches of snow. Personally, I didn't think four inches ought to be any great impediment in Alaska. Then, I see this guy pull up in a truck from Alaska Divers and Underwater Salvage. ???

He talks to the movers briefly and starts plowing the driveway. He plowed the entire driveway and a pad on the side of the house, which we hadn't planned on clearing all winter. After he finished, I asked him how much I owed him. He said, "Ha! You don't owe me anything. I'm your neighbor from down the hill! We try to keep everyone in the neighborhood good to go. I'll try and help your movers get up the hill. I've got my tow hitch on the truck!" He said his dad would come by later tonight to say hello, too.

The movers brought our scuffed and dented trash cans up the hill with them. They said, "Hey, did you guys request Alaska?" I said we had, and they said, "Right on!"

No comments: