Friday, March 11, 2005

Better than ever

Well, I am happy to say that Meggie is fully recovered from the surgery and doing better than ever. Alan says her balance is better, and I can tell more clarity in her word repetition too now. She has no discomfort from the surgery. I can tell that she has more enjoyment in things, because she hears more clearly.

We went to the library's morning story time today. It was really great. She was one of the younger children there, so I was worried that she wouldn't get much out of it. But she thoroughly enjoyed it. Although she didn't sing along during the songs, she rocked back and forth so hard she almost slid off her chair. I think we'll make a habit of it.

Not much planned for this weekend: home repair, writing and a wine party at one of Alan's co-worker's. Should be fun. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Love to all.

1 comment:

GC said...

I hope Meggie didn't say "Ohshit" before or after the surgery. I’ve wanted to comment about Meggie’s recent slip of the tongue. Aunt Pam and I both agree that Meggie’s reaction is more than a random stringing of sounds.
.
“There was a group of four women with us in the elevator. As we approached the first floor, the elevator made a scraping sound and shuddered. Meggie's eyes got big, and she opened her mouth and said, . . .”
.
And the rest of course has become part of the ever growing volumes of Meggie Lore. But look at the events before Meggie’s now famous slip of the tongue. Just walking into the small cramp confines of a usually dim and some what crowded elevator would give anyone an instant case of claustrophobia. (In fact, Brianna will stand in the corner of most elevators and close her eyes to avoid the stress of riding in an elevator.)
.
Now the familiar and ordinary ride in an elevator maybe familiar and ordinary to us adults. But to an one year old, I could imagine an elevator ride could be extremely stressful. So, let’s continue my observations of this now famous elevator ride . . .
.
“ . . . the elevator made a scraping sound and shuddered. Meggie's eyes got big, and she opened her mouth . . .”
.
Meggie’s reaction was typical for anyone whether an one year old or adult under a stressful situation. And the so called “random stringing of sounds” coupled with the added stresses of
.
. . . 1) The elevator making scraping sounds and
.
. . . 2) The elevator shuddering
.
on further examination appears entirely appropriate and intentional not random.
.
Now, I don’t believe either Alan or you are in the habit of using expletives. So, Aunt Pam and I have concluded that Meggie is exposed to other children and adults at Day Care who have no need or care to avoid using expletives. Yes, Meggie has apparently learned to recognize stress and has observed and heard the sounds “Ohshit” used in any number of stressful situation at Day Care. Meggie’s “random stringing of sounds” was used in context and more then likely learned and not random.
.
I’ll admit I could be entirely wrong. But it is growing apparent that Meggie is fast becoming an extremely intelligent girl. And I wouldn’t be surprised to read more stories that only further confirm how smart our Meggie truly is. The verbose Uncle, love Uncle Jerry.
.
“Oh no!” Time to get ready to work. ;-) GC