This is us before embarking on our wildlife viewing cruise in Seward.

Notice that I look OK in this picture... not green or anything. This is the first and last picture of me from the cruise. For most of the journey my face was obscured by a take-out bag. Apparently I'm very prone to seasickness. This is the second time I've gotten really, really sick on a boat. No one else was bothered, so I guess it's just me. I wished I hadn't partaken of the fabulous buffet. And while everyone, including Meggie who apparently loves Jell-o, was scarfing down desserts on the way back into the harbor, I kept my head down in order to keep from smelling anything that might send me running for another bag.
Meggie loved being out on the boat though. She especially enjoyed the choppy water. Every time the boat hit a bump, she giggled and clapped her hands. If I hadn't been there myself when she was born, I'd swear she wasn't mine.

As I had my forehead on a table for most of the cruise, Meggie and Sly had to take their pictures themselves.

We saw tons of sea otters. This is an especially frolicky pair.

Bear Ice Field in the Kenai Fjords National Park

This was one of our forays into the fjords. The black strip is a lichen -- a symbiotic relationship between algae and fungus. I only remember this because the park ranger who was guiding our tour told us a silly joke about it:
Have you heard about Freddie Fungus and Alice Algae? Yeah, they're married, but their marriage is always on the rocks. (ba-dump-bump) Yes, it's a traditional relationship. He builds the house, and she makes the food.
Har har har. I guess you had to be there. We saw all kinds of wildlife on the cruise -- otters, eagles, sea lions... Alas, no whales though.
After the cruise we visited Sea Life Center. I was especially excited to see the puffins dive in their underwater tank. Very cool.

Pre-dive puffin
Seward was a really fun trip. We stayed at Soo's Bed and Breakfast, which I highly recommend. For the same price as a motel room, you get a much nicer room (with a private bath), conversation with Soo (nice lady) and a fabulous full breakfast (complete with homemade Alaskan blueberry preserves). Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Soo was trying to convince Sylvette to move to Anchorage. We're trying to convince her too. Heck, why don't you all move here? I'll even make you blueberry preserves. I'd even go on a nature cruise with you, and after what I've been through, that's saying something.
Anyway, the rest of the visit was great too. Saw Uncle Manny and Aunt Holly, went shopping, hung out with the Megginator, and built a camp fire.

Hi, Sylvette! We miss you already!
No comments:
Post a Comment