Saturday, May 21, 2005

Should Yoda filibuster?

Hi, everyone! Hope you're having a good weekend. We saw "Revenge of the Sith" today, and it was sooooooo good! Totally worth going to. And printing out the tickets ahead of time was such a big help.

The movie had great special effects and incredible drama. I wasn't even bothered by Lucas' somewhat forced allusions to American politics and the Iraq war. If you want to read more about it, you can highlight the text below to make it legible. But there's spoilage, so don't say I didn't warn you!

Spoiler alert. (Highlight with your cursor to read below the line.)
_______________________
It was only mildly annoying that Lucas was bashing the audience over the head with contemporary political statements. I especially liked the part where Padme says, "So this is how liberty dies -- with thunderous applause." And everyone knew exactly what she was really talking about. Here's my google search that turned up tons of political critiques quoting Padme. Padme also says "This war is a failure to listen." Hmmmmmmm.

I especially like the part when Yoda and the Evil Emperor end up fighting on the floor of the Senate. (I wonder what Lucas was trying to say. I just don't get it!) As Yoda vaulted onto the podium I was hoping he might filibuster. Alas, no dice.

It was also good when Anakin (after having turned to the dark side) says, "If you're not with me, you're my enemy." I thought it should be, "If you're not with me, you're with the terrorists" like Bush said in his state of the union address, because the kids necking in the back row might have missed the reference. But Lucas saved it by letting Obi-Wan reply, "Only the Sith (er, I mean Republicans) deal in absolutes." ;o)


But the movie is Lucas' baby, so I can't fault him for shoehorning in his political views. All in all, it was a great movie. It even came full-circle and brought back all the '70s-style costumes and computers at the end, so that everything would link up to episodes 6-7 perfectly. It was masterfully done.

I see many future college students having six-episode Star Wars marathons. I hope no one adds a drinking game wherein you down a swig of "Jedi juice" every time someone onscreen says "the Force." That would be bad, and the players might find a different kind of force at their door.


"Sith" was by far the best of the three prequels. My only complaint is that Yoda didn't filibuster. But I'll forgive it, because he was doing some awesome saber fighting. (Is it just me, or does that little green guy totally rock!?) Maybe our Congress would get more done with light sabers. It would be less painful for the rest of us, and I'd pay to see Master Pelosi and Darth DeLay go at it. Wouldn't you?

_______________________
End of spoilers. Safe to read below.


So that's about it. Meggie had a really great time with Suzanne and Johnny. It has been raining the last couple of days. I can't say I mind. Less watering in the yard.

Hope you all have a great rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

-h said...

Yeah, I've read that. But he did admit that Vietman inspired him to make the first Star Wars. And scripts and scenes can always be tweaked. There are clearly references to American culture. I didn't really mind, actually. It was still really good.

Jesse said...

We all saw it today. I liked it. I didn't get that upset about the political corney statements. I liked how they dealt with Anakin's struggle.

Beacharoni said...

Have to admit, I was already set up for the sly and stealth political comments. I was determined to not let them faze me and they didn't. Low blows aside, Lucas delivered a very entertaining prequal that, working backward, did manage to tie it all together. Really loved your review/commentary. Darth DeLay? Master Pelosi! Brilliant! This borderline satire deserves wider dissemination. See if that newspaper there in Anchorage might be interested in a little latitudinal levity :=) Hope you all are feeling better.