New cribs
On Monday night Laurel moved into her own room and into the big crib. (She was in a co-sleeper bassinet attached to our bed before.) She did beautifully. Not a whimper. Went right to sleep. She's been waking up between 6 a.m. and 6:30. Yay! After that feeding, she goes back to sleep for another hour or so.Alan moved into a new office over the weekend. We went to his building to help him move. Alas, he gave up the view of the Cook Inlet with the mountains in the background in exchange for a downtown street. Them's the breaks. Meggie brought him an assortment of drawings and collages and decorated "her art wall" in his office. She tried to claim the largest wall for herself, but we talked her into taking a nice nook by the window.
Dressed for success
I'm trawling the job market. I've got an interview on Tuesday. I'm not itching to work right now, but I figure, if I want to have a job I like when Laurel is a year old (I think I might be ready then), I'd better start looking now. This interview kind of found me. I posted my resume on monster.com. So I was taking out my business suits and trying them on, deciding which one to get cleaned. And Meggie asked me, "What are you doing?" I said, "I'm trying on outfits to go to a meeting." "Oh," she said, "I like your outfit." "Thanks, but this one is no good," I said. I was wearing my black suit. I said, "Ugh. This one makes me look like a waitress." She ran into the closet and yelled, "But I have a GREAT outfit!" She got out this ski hat that Michele got me years ago. :o) This hat predates our marriage. Wow.Tell me about it
Toddlers say funny things every day. But here are some Meggieisms from yesterday and today.m*: I didn't say thank you to the Tooth Fairy for my tooth money!
h: Oh yeah? How should we say thank you to her?
m* I think we gotta telephone her.
h: Oh, I can't! I don't know her telephone number!
m*: But I do.
h: Oh yeah? What is it?
m*: It's 24.
h: Really?
m*: But mine's not.
h: What's yours?
m*: 42.
(She can't count past 17 reliably, but she has a slew of numbers she trots out whenever it suits her.)
h: Why do you have milk all over your face?
m*: I don't. I licked it off with my tongue.
h: Then why do you have milk on your eyebrows?
m*: Because my tongue is not strong enough to reach my eyebrows.
m* to h: Mom, you don't have to be right all of the time.
She was quoting "Charlie and Lola," but I kind of think she meant it. But, yes, I do. Do, do, do, do, do!
h: Meggie, how many nostrils do you have?
m*: Ha! I don't have any "nossils."
h: Sure you do. The holes in your nose are your nostrils.
m*: Oh. I have two nossils. Nossils are for getting boogers out of your nose.
h: No, Meggie, they're for breathing.
m*: And boogers.
Sew much fun
I've been sewing for fun. Disclaimer before I continue: I am terrible. But I have this lovely new, industrial sewing machine, because my kind mother-in-law stalked K-Mart of Birmingham's annual sewing machine sale in which they liquidate the overstock of commercial machines. So nice. It's like a Ferrari sitting in my closet. I just had to get it out and use it. It's so much fun. I decided to sew an outfit each for Meggie and Laurel. Meggie had fun picking her fabric, and she enjoys watching all the parts come together into the whole. I think it's a good teaching exercise for her.She picked this fabric and these appliques. And she picked a Little Mermaid fabric for her shorts. This is the first time I've used a pattern, so it's a learning experience for me. I should have trusted my measurements and lengthened the top. She has a long torso, and her belly pushes her pants down. Ah, toddlers. I ended up modifying the back of the straps to cheat some more length out of them. It gives it kind of a boutiquey look. The buttons are flip-flops. :o) At the recommendation of the very helpful Wal-Mart lady, I used $1 fabric for this, my first piece of clothing ever.


I should have known
Rules I would have made if I had been smart enough to predict Meggie's supermarket conversations:1) We do not talk about Mommy's anatomy in the store.
2) Although you followed rule 1, you must also avoid talking about your own anatomy and bodily functions in the store. You should particularly refrain from describing what happens when you drink too little water. And I don't care that the man in the cafeteria thought it was funny.
3) We do not point at strange women of unknown reproductive status and say, "Hey! She has a baby in her tummy, but we gotta wait for it to come out." We never, ever do this. Ever.
2 comments:
Heather, since we only have pictures to look of Meggie (and not the Real Thing), I was wondering - Is Meggie's hair Brown now? Also, - What are Meggie's Eye Color?
Glad you are sewing. Some things are becoming a lost art in this disposable and technological society. I have several clothing items that date to my early twenties and probably a few from my teens. I take a needle and thread to mend the minor rips and tears that occasionally happen.
Sewing and mending reminds me of your Grandpa Costales. Grandpa was a jack-off-all trades: a passable cook (not as good of a chef as Grandma. But, a great pancake flipper and drop biscuit baker); a knitter – learned during Grandpa’s bellboy days (probably taught to Grandpa by some little old ladies in Kansas City), an agile and expert typist – Grandpa learned on a Manual Typewriter (Oh, how I wish we had keep Grandpa’s Green Manual Typewriter as a memento), a packrat extraordinaire (Grandpa would salvage the wastebaskets of the Federal Building in LA – his last work stop – accumulating wastebaskets full of paper clips; reams of discarded but very useful paper – the typical sheet of paper was lined on one side and blank on the opposite side (the blank side was great for doodling, sketching, and drawing); rejected staplers, paper punches, three ring notebook binder, other miscellaneous office supplies and knick knacks (my favorite knick knack was a small metal sculpture of a Nut being chased by an aggressive Hex Head Bolt (the Nut and Bolt sported tiny wire arms and legs) – a caption was painted on a metal plate, the plate was mounted on a wooden plinth, the caption read – NOT WITHOUT A WASHER (so, you can guess why the knick knack was discarded by the way); and once Grandpa brought home a marijuana pipe (probably discarded by some Federal Attorney that may have used the pipe as evidence.)
The paperclips and many of the office supplies that the family could never completely use were donated to our local Catholic Church and School. And your Uncle Jesse keeps a sweater knitted by Grandpa (a fine example sample of knitting work that is still brilliant in color and still very usable.)
Love Uncle Jerry
Your sewing projects turned out great! Keep up the good work. Glad you are sewing. It's a great hobby and feeling of accomplishment.
love Aunt Linda
Post a Comment