Friday, August 22, 2008

The apple doesn't fall far...

In case you're wondering, Meggie likes her new school. BUT. She does not like rest time. She started to blubber while recounting what happened during the 30-minute rest time on her first day. She was not allowed to wake the other children. And she was not allowed to run around. And it was too hard to be quiet for that long. And was too boring. And was just not fair.

When she told me this, I had flashbacks of myself at age 4 in preschool. I had visions of my own little teethmarks in the pudgy arm of my rest time neighbor (he wouldn't wake up to play with me). And I remembered my cot in its usual place ... in the restroom. The school finally detailed one teacher to read to me in the restroom during rest time, so that I wouldn't disturb the others.

I don't think the new school has enough aides floating around for that, and it's really not fair, so I took Meggie to the store to pick out items for a rest time kit: special twist-up crayons, two new coloring books, and a quiet toy (a doll and horse whose hair she can comb). On day 2, Meggie got a gold star for good rest time behavior in defiance of her nap-averse genes.

2 comments:

kanb said...

Funny. We, I mean Nick, had trouble on Tuesday during Rest Time, too. I was told he didn't use his "quiet mouth." Uh-oh. But he apparently did much better on Thursday. Right now he is resting, but yes, 20 minutes is f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

Unknown said...

Good for Meggie, and her creative mommy :)

Auntie Linda