Thursday, August 14, 2008

Quickpost: Putting it together

This is starting to feel like the endless summer. I am having a hard time keeping these two kids busy. Meggie is breezing through her new K-level workbooks. She's opting to do more than the required two pages in each book, just to have something to do. The prospect of going to kindergarten has finally motivated her to start reading. She's been able to for a long time, but she didn't want to. "No, how about you just read it to me," she often said. But a few weeks ago, she read her first word by sounding it out, and it was "Alaska." :o) Yesterday, she asked me how to spell her dad's name. I told her to sound it out, and she wrote down "Alen," which, phonetically, is close. I told her that her dad, though, spells his with two A's and she said, "Oh."

Laurel is talking more. She has definite opinions about things. She was twirling around the other day and saying "Ana, ana, ana." I asked her if she was a ballerina. She said no. I asked her if she was a gymnast. She said yes. We've also been having two-way conversations. I asked her yesterday whether she had gone No.2 in her diaper. She said yes. After I peered down the back, I said, "Uh-oh, you did go poo-poo." At which point she looked at me and said with exasperation, "Yeah, I poo-poo." I laughed out loud. If she had understood the appropriate application of "duh," she'd have used it.

I know this diaper talk is kind of gross. But that's one of Laurel's favorite topics. That, animals and milk, which leads us back to...

No comments: