Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Ready, schlep, go

I realize that I rarely post about Alan and me. But what can I say? We're not very interesting. He works, works, works at his job. And I work, then sort laundry, work, then drive to the park, work, then referee a yogurt fight, at mine. My career is a little more sporadic, you see. But I'm still doing stints at the paper here and there, and my online business is picking up traction and moving toward a comfortable speed. We feel very blessed.

But I've been putting most of my time this week into getting kiddo No. 1 ready to start school. I am. So. Tired. We've filled out forms, gotten forms from the doctor, gotten the kiddo TB tested, certified her TB-free, gratefully received some hand-me-down uniform shirts from friends (yes, they wear uniform shirts), ordered additional uniform shirts, shopped for size 6 dresses and skirts (because a lot of the size 5s don't cover the knee--yes, there is a school-mandated length), and filled a full-page, single-spaced supply list (supplies for the school and the kid--yes, they asked for Dixie cups, plastic spoons, copy paper, snacks, craft supplies, dry-erase markers and more). Whew. It took me three trips to cart in the stuff. And guess what? We're not done yet. More forms to drop off tomorrow.

But, on the upside, I met Meggie's teacher today and was favorably impressed. She started evaluating Meggie and will be teaching her the 5-year-old kindergarten curriculum, which makes sense, since she's almost 5. She'll be seated at a table with three other kids who will be doing the same curriculum, so she'll have the support and encouragement of her peers. Meggie's new teacher agrees with us: She's not a preschool child anymore.

And when we are not shopping, carting or working, we watch the Olympics. If we can stay awake, that is. If couch-napping were an event, we'd medal.

Going for golden slumbers.

No comments: