Monday, April 04, 2005

Are we there yet?

Hey, everyone! Although we had a wonderful Easter, I still can't say spring has sprung. And we are soooo ready. You know you're ready when the reappearance of the gravel on your driveway brings a tear to your eye. I know that Meggie is really ready to run around outside. She's moving at a full gallop now, and she needs more room than we have here in the house.

We're all just plugging along up here. Alan is busy at work -- as always. I am getting busier at work. I have been doing some writing on the side. Just few opinion pieces, but it's fun.

Meggie is developing so quickly now. She is mimicking a lot of words and signing more. She signs "please" although rarely. Probably because she's about as inclined to sign it as she would be to say it -- not very. And she signs and says more foods like "apple" (signing) and "cookie" (saying). She had her first exposure to Indian and Filipino food. She liked Indian food, but she loved Filipino food. She especially liked pinakbet. That's my girl! She couldn't enough.

You know I sometimes forget what a small place Alaska is. It seemed strange to me that we have only been able to find one Filipino "restaurant" in Anchorage. I put that in quotations marks, because it's more like a shack really. Great food, though! Anyway, Alan reminded me that the population of Anchorage is only around 260,000 and that only 5,800 of the city's residents are Filipino. True deal! Check it out. And then I started thinking about the rest of the state, and I realized that the population of Alaska is only about 650,000 (and that's a tad high). Isn't that amazing? The state is less populated than Jacksonville, Florida, and San Jose, California. Crazy. And then it's even weirder when you think about how large the state is. It's 1/5 the size of the entire U.S. Wild.

Hope that all is well in your lovely states too.

No comments: