Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Springtime and sickies

Hi, everyone. Lots happening here. All the snow has melted, and we can now see our ugly, bare side yard. The snowbank that was supporting our paper box is also gone, so the twisted stem is listing to one side now. That's the same paper box that Alan ran over with the jeep when he careened down the icy driveway this winter. Ha.

Meggie has been battling a cold for the last couple of days. On Sunday Alan and I let her rest at home and conducted our tasks in shifts. Went to church in shifts. Went hiking in shifts. Gorgeous day. We hiked down to Eagle River and watched the last of the ice shelf crackle and pop. It's melting into the river and will probably be gone by this weekend.

Today Alan is sick too. He has some horrible stomach bug. So both he and Meggie down for the count.

I wanted to blog this interesting story about eagles in Homer, Alaska. We have a lot of eagles around here. Just saw one circling this morning. Apparently they've become a bit of a nuisance in Homer. I picked that first link because it has pictures. But there's a longer version of the story here. The second link includes a funny excerpt from Ben Franklin (much quoted in Homer) about how the eagle was a bad choice for America's national bird. The really long version, which we printed in our paper but I can't find online, said that Franklin preferred the turkey.

1 comment:

-h said...

Thanks!