Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Breather

First off, I blogged myself into a corner with that stupid ode to springtime. So I'm dropping it. Suffice it to say that spring seems to be creeping our way. Snow is melting daily and being replaced by bogs of mud. Our rock walls have reappeared, although without any live plants. But I detect some slivers of green in the weeds on the side of house. Spring is so close. I can hear it in the subcrystic* streams continuously flowing down our driveway.

We had a really busy weekend. Meggie attended a birthday party at McDonald's (her assessment: "Good frieses (fries) and prizes (Dora the Explorer toys)"). Alan and I (OK, mostly Alan) undertook and a mammoth redo of Meggie's floor. After clearing the room, he built a framework on the floor, lined it with foam insulation, built a new plywood subfloor on top and installed laminate flooring. Then he moved her stuff back and finished it all in three days.

Meggie spent that weekend "camping" in the living room. She thought the first night was pretty cool, the second night tolerable and the third night unimanigable. I think she would have clawed her way out of the portable crib if she had been deprived of her room for three nights. So I'm glad Alan was able to complete it in his desired timeframe.

Alan had this past Monday off because it was Seward's Day, a commemoration of the day William H. Seward, Abe Lincoln's secretary of state, purchased Alaska from Russia for $7.2 million dollars (roughly $90 million today). The transaction was termed "Seward's Folly." We're laughing all the way to the bank, or at least to the home improvement center.

Love to all.

*Thanks to Lillie who helped me find the word "crystic." I know it's obnoxious to use obscure words on blogs, but ever since last spring when rivers rushing under ice seemed to be everywhere, I've been looking for a word that means "under the ice." And there it is. We used the site onelook.com, which contains a reverse dictionary and searches words' definitions, not just the search terms themselves. Super cool.

No comments: